**Due to COVID-19 Fine Art & Art Mart will move to Spring 2021**Feat
Check back after the first of the year for details about the Spring show. This year the Art Mart and Fine Art Exhibit are combined into one application. No more standing in different lines to drop off your entries if you participate in both!
ART is located at Schooley Mill Barn, on the southern end of the village. This location provides plenty of space to display works and will be hung as it was last year with the Fine Art Exhibit in the upper part of the bank barn and Art Mart in the “L”. We are proud of the quality of the art that is offered at the Waterford Fair and expect the Schooley Mill Barn Exhibit to be a big hit with the Fair’s approximately 18,000 visitors!
GENERAL INFORMATION Prospectus PDF
Art Mart and Fine Art criteria differ. Please read the requirements carefully.
The Art Mart is not juried, but the application form must be complete. You must also do at least one volunteer shift if you participate in the Art Mart. There is no limit on the number of entries that may be submitted. Sales prices up to $450 will be accepted. The most popular price point with our fair-goers is less than $100, but do not let that hold you back from submitting your more expensive pieces. If you have participated in the Art Mart in the past you were assigned an “Artist Consignor’s Number” We will no longer be using numbers. All art will be tracked by the Artist’s last name.
Accepted Media: Oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastels, charcoals, block print, pen and ink, pencil drawings, or collage. Framed prints are not accepted.
ART MART CONDITIONS:
- All Artists must do a volunteer shift.
- All hanging work must be matted, framed or gallery-wrapped with proper hanging apparatus.
- Artists who wish to consign matted works or prints must provide neat boxes no larger than 16 by 20 inches. All works must fit in the box. NO Prints will be
- NEW: List original works separately on the Entry Form with title and price. Your entry sheet is the Sales sheet. This applies to matted works or prints in your box as well. You may print this list from the printable entry and bring it with you. But this will be our inventory sheet at the desk for your work.
- Sales prices up to $450 accepted.
- Framed work should be no larger than 36 x 36 inches or equivalent.
- Poorly framed work, pictures with saw-tooth hangers and note cards will not be accepted. Note cards can be consigned at the Old Mill Shop – see website for details.
FINE ART EXHIBIT:
The Waterford Fair Fine Art Exhibit is a judged show. There is a limit of two (2) entries per artist. Prizes will be awarded. Artists of all skill levels are welcome to submit images for exhibit and judging. There are no sales price restrictions on work in the Fine Art Exhibit. NFS entries are also acceptable though we encourage you to put your work for sale in this exhibition opportunity.
Entry for Fine Art Exhibit and Judging:
A maximum of two pieces may be entered for exhibit and judging, whether or not they are offered for sale.
- You may enter any category. Please indicate if your piece is a Waterford Scene and if you are a Loudoun Artist on the form for each piece.
- All artwork must be original and created within the last two years.
- All artwork must be matted, framed, and ready to hang. Gallery-wrapped canvases with finished edges are also accepted. All works must have screw eyes or D-rings and wires attached. No saw tooth hangers! No wet paintings.
- Artists who submit work for exhibit and judging may also enter works for sale at the Art Mart. All Art Mart fees also apply.
- The total outer dimensions of the piece must be no larger than 144 inches (e.g. 36” x 36”or comparable).
- Oil Painting
- Acrylic Painting
- Water Media: watercolor, gouache or other water media painting
- Drawing: pastel, colored pencil, graphite, charcoal, ink or other drawing media
- Mixed Media/Sculpture: more than one media, block print, 3-dimensional or collage
Special Category Requirements: In ANY Category, work may be considered for Best in Show, Best Loudoun Artist, or Best Waterford Scene. To be considered you must:
- Indicate on front card that you are a Loudoun artist.
- Indicate on front card that this is a Waterford scene and indicate the location in Waterford on the back of the piece.
- Artwork must have been created within the last two years.
- Not be re-entered from previous Waterford exhibits.
- No photomechanical reproductions, computer-generated or artificially altered work (in part or in whole) will be accepted, The artist’s hand must be evident in all work.
- Images may be used by the Waterford Foundation and Fair for promotional purposes only. However, the entrant maintains one’s ownership and reproduction rights of artwork.
- To determine category, your art should be primarily the media listed. As artists, the same media is often used in a different manner. For instance, a pastel drawing that has a water media underpainting would still be considered a pastel. A watercolor that has some colored pencil detail is still water color. Acrylics can be used traditionally like oils or with water as a medium on paper as water media. The rule of thumb is to put it in the category that is it is primarily or 80% that media. If it is more a 50-50% or 60-40% it becomes a mixed media piece. If you have a question concerning the category of your piece, contact Lis Zadravec directly at [email protected] and put Waterford Fine Art Category in the subject line.
JUDGE – CHAWKY FRENN
Born in Zahlé, Lebanon, Chawky Frenn lived his formative years in a country that nurtured him not only with mysticism, spirituality and beauty, but also with paradoxes, conflicts, and delusions. Before emigrating to the United States in 1981, he witnessed six years of civil war whose devastating effects and consequences would powerfully influence his life and work.
Frenn received a BFA from Mass College of Art and Design in Boston, MA in 1985, and an MFA from Tyler School of Art of Temple University in Philadelphia, PA in 1988. He completed the second year of graduate studies at Temple Abroad in Rome, Italy. Frenn taught at Bridgewater State College, Montserrat College of Art, and Edinboro University of PA. He is currently an Associate Professor at George Mason.
Frenn had exhibits in the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Lebanon, and Paraguay. His work is included in the collections of the Housatonic Museum of Art in Bridgeport, CT, the Springfield Museum of Art in Springfield, OH, and in private collections. Among many international awards, in 2017, Frenn was awarded the Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Awards. Frenn has received critical acclaim by the New York Times, NY ARTS, Art New England, Boston Globe, and many other national and international publications, including several books. Frenn has also authored two books. He currently lives and works in Arlington, VA.
PROSPECTUS *NEW* – The registration form must be submitted and received by 5pm on Wednesday, September 25, 2019, to guarantee entry.
You must bring a copy of the entry form with you and have all work (including bin work) properly & legibly tagged front and back, or work will not be accepted. Please use the guidelines below to submit your entry online.
STEP 1 – REGISTER AND PAYMENT
The fee to enter is as follows:
- Entry for Fine Art “exhibit and judging” $20 for first piece and $10 for second piece of artwork.
- Works “for sale only” at the Art Mart are $30 for the lot (no limit to number of pieces entered).
- If you are entering two works in Fine Art and participating in Art Mart, entry for both shows is $50 ($10 off the combined entry fees).
- Complete registration form online and pay via secure credit card or print and mail the registration form with a check made payable to Waterford Foundation.
STEP 2 – VOLUNTEERING
The Fair is put on entirely by volunteers such as you. All Artists participating in the Art Mart MUST volunteer. CLICK HERE TO SELECT YOUR SHIFT/S.
Fine Art Exhibit Artists are also encouraged to volunteer at the Schooley Mill Barn. Your help with a shift or two (or more!) is what helps make this event great and is so appreciated. Artists who work a minimum of one 4-hour shift before or during the Fair will receive a free 1-day admission ticket to the Fair in addition to a volunteer badge that covers the day of your shift.
Special credits for Schooley Mill Barn Fine Art/Art Mart volunteers
Participant volunteers will be entered into a lottery drawing for a full refund of their application fee. Those who work more than one shift or who supply additional volunteers will be entered into the drawing once for each shift they work, and once for each extra volunteer they sign up.
See volunteer opportunities in the sidebar
STEP 3 – COMPLETE ENTRY FORM (inventory list)
- The artist is required to complete the Fillable Entry Form. Your computer may open a print dialog box immediately upon opening. If this occurs, close the print dialog box and download the pdf and save the file on your computer. Now that you have saved the pdf, you will be able to fill out the fields on your computer. Complete the form and save again. Print 2 copies (bring one copy when you drop off your artwork and keep the other for your records.) If you want to print blank forms to fill out by hand, you can reopen the print dialog and print as many pages as you need to.
STEP 4 – LABELS, SIGNATURE AND TITLES
- The artist is required to fill out one online Label Form for each piece entered. Label Forms can be found as a fillable PDF ONLINE HERE. Please print the label(s) and secure one label to the front & one label to the back of your artwork. Labels are formatted to print on cardstock and then cut to size. Your computer may open a print dialog box immediately upon opening. If this occurs, close the print dialog box and download the pdf. After you download the pdf, you will be able to fill out the fields on your computer. Save the completed form and print. If you want to print blank forms to fill out by hand, you can reopen the print dialog and print as many pages as you need to.
- Please affix the back label securely to the upper left corner of the back of your entry.
- Tuck the front label in the lower left corner of the frame on the front of your entry. Tape only if necessary.
- Only properly labeled work that matches the entry form will be accepted at check-in.
ARTIST BIO When you deliver your work(s), bring an 8.5 x 11” copy of your artist bio. You may include your contact information and up to 20 business cards, which will be kept at the sales desk and provided to fairgoers upon request.
The utmost care will be taken of all work submitted. However, the Waterford Foundation, Inc. and any of its volunteers are not responsible for loss or damage to artwork from drop off to pick up, and assumes no liability for works not collected on the specified dates. Please secure your own insurance. All work is entered at the owner’s risk. It is up to the artist to insure his or her own work. The Waterford Foundation reserves the right to reject any entry or determine the category in which it is entered.