The Waterford Fair invites you to participate in the 2018 Photography Exhibit and Sale, which has been going strong since 1988! Please scroll down to see more information, the prospectus and signup form.
- Photographers of all skill levels are welcome to submit images for exhibit and judging, or other photography works for sale only.
- Photographs submitted for judging are eligible to win ribbons and $1,500 in cash prizes.
- This year, the exhibit will be held at the Red Barn in the center of the village….guaranteeing healthy foot traffic.
- To prepare your entry, simply follow the three steps listed below. If you have any questions please email us.
- Scroll down to view the prospectus.
- Photographs will be judged according to the category submitted and for Best in Show.
- Winners of each category, including Best in Show, will receive a blue ribbon and a $100.00 award, except for the Best Loudoun Photograph, which will receive a $500 award from Loudoun Now.
- Red, yellow, and white ribbons will also be awarded for second, third and honorable mention.
Apply in 3 easy steps!
Kristi is an internationally acclaimed photographer, a Nikon Ambassador and a motivational speaker. She makes her home just outside Washington DC, and travels the world shooting, teaching, and sharing her insights so she can help make our planet a better, more loving place. She runs an adventure company with her partner Darren Gustaveson, taking photographers all around the world, giving them life changing experiences, while teaching advanced photo skills. Her accolades include a Masters accreditation from WPPI, and over 60 international photography awards including 2 Nature’s Best Photography awards and 26 Fearless awards. Her recent work has been exhibited twice at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.
Darren’s deepest passion lies in the mountains. As an avid outdoor enthusiast, Darren uses his camera to share his love of adventure and the natural world. His background is rooted in outdoor education where the mountains have been his classroom to bring people closer to the outside world. He co-leads a photography adventure workshop company with his partner, Kristi Odom. He has lived all over the U.S. including California, Utah and even a remote mining town in Alaska. When he isn’t at his home in Sterling Virginia with his partner and dog, you can find Darren hiking, rock (or ice) climbing, or photographing life all over the world.
The Waterford Fair invites you to participate in the 2019 Photography Exhibit and Sale, which has been going strong since 1988!
Photographers of all skill levels are welcome to submit images for exhibit and judging, or other photography works for sale only. Photographs submitted for judging are eligible to win ribbons and $1,500 in cash prizes.
Once again, the exhibit will be held at the Red Barn in the center of the village….guaranteeing healthy foot traffic.
To prepare your entry, simply follow the four steps listed below. If you have any questions please contact the Fair office at [email protected]
STEP 1 – ENTRY FORM AND SUBMISSION DEADLINE
Enter works for “exhibit and judging” and “for sale” only on the same entry form, which can be found here: 2019 Waterford Fair Photography Exhibit and Sale Entry Form.
The entry form must be submitted online and received by 5pm on
Wednesday, September 25, 2019 to guarantee entry.
● Please use the guidelines below to submit your entry online.
● The entry form will be received by the Waterford Foundation and a printed copy will be available at Drop-Off (see below) to match with photographs entered.
● Confirmation of Entry Form receipt will be emailed to entrants by the Fair Office.
● Please list all work both for exhibit/judging and for sale only on the Entry Form. Enter “NFS” in the price column of exhibited work that is not for sale.
ENTRY FOR EXHIBIT AND JUDGING
● A maximum of four photographs may be entered for exhibit and judging, whether or not they are offered for sale.
● If you are entering only one or two photographs, you may enter any category, including the Best of Loudoun Photograph category.
● All photographs submitted for judging, whether color or black and white, must be matted, framed, and ready to hang. Other formats such as canvas wraps or metal prints are also accepted. All works must have screw eyes or D-rings and wires attached. No saw tooth hangers!
● The photographer who submits images for exhibit and judging may also enter works for sale at no additional cost.
● The total outer dimensions of the frame or border of the piece must be no larger than 16 x 20 matted.
- Best Loudoun **
- Waterford Fair or Waterford Scene
- Best in Show
Special Category Requirements
*Photojournalism– Photographs may be in color or black and white. The photograph entered in this category must not be tinted or artificially altered and represent the scene without addition or removal of any details. The photographer will be required to certify on the entry form that no details were added or removed from the photojournalism image.
** Best Loudoun Photograph may be in color or black and white and must:
“Best Loudoun” means an image in any part of Loudoun County (east, transition area or west) on any subject matter or category (landscape, portrait, etc.) that, in the opinion of the photographer, represents the best qualities of the County (human, heritage, economic, ecological, etc.)
- Be designated for the Best Loudoun category.
- Be a minimum size of 8” x 10.”
- Indicate the location in Loudoun County.
- Not be reentered from previous Waterford exhibits.
- Accurately represents a scene without addition or removal of any details.
- The winning framed photograph becomes the property of Loudoun Now. However, the entrant maintains his/her ownership and reproduction rights.
- The photographer will be required to certify on the entry form that no details were added or removed from the image.
ENTRY FOR SALE ONLY
● Matted photographs and photo cards may be submitted for sale without exhibiting and judging. (No more than three display units.)
● Such work must fit in a display unit provided by the photographer. (No more than three display units.)
● Photographers who submits images for exhibit and judging may also enter works for sale at no additional cost.
STEP 2 – LABELS, SIGNATURE AND TITLES
● The photographer is required to fill out two online Label Forms for each photograph entered. Label Forms can be found as a fillable PDF ONLINE HERE.
- Label #1 — Name / Photo Title / Category / Price — please print and secure it to the back of your photograph.
- Label #2 — Category / Photo Title — please print and secure it to the front of your photograph.
● Names or signatures on the front of the photographs must be covered. Use of painter’s tape, gaffer’s tape, or removable label is acceptable; cover will be removed after judging.
STEP 3 – VOLUNTEERING
While not required, entrants are encouraged to volunteer four hours during the Fair. Volunteer opportunities include Photography Exhibit desk (answer general queries and log sales of photographs) during the Preview Sale and Fair, Varnishing Night set up or breakdown, and other tasks related to the Exhibit.
As thanks, volunteers will receive free Fair entry on the day of volunteering and one additional Fair ticket. Please indicate the time you are available to volunteer here.
STEP 4 – ENTRY FEE AND PAYMENT
The fee to enter is as follows:
- Entry for “exhibit and judging”
- $10 per photo (up to four photos)
- Additional “sale only” works – included in fee listed above
- Works for “sale only” (not for exhibit) – $30 for lot
The payment button is at the end of the entry form. Click to make a secured payment via credit card.
The Waterford Foundation will retain a 25% commission on all items sold.
Exhibited photographs will be available for public sale, unless the entrant requests that they be withheld from sale.
If you are on social media, you may wish to help promote sales by tagging your works with the following hashtags: #waterfordfairva #lovewaterfordfairva #madebyhand
DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP
• The Exhibit and Sale is located on the upper level of the Red Barn, which sits back off Second Street down a narrow alley. Take care when entering and exiting the alley. Street parking is also available along Second Street.
• Drop-off: Friday, September 27 or Saturday, September 28, between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM (both days).
• Pick-up: Sunday, October 6 between 5:00 and 6:00 pm or Monday, October 7 between 9:00 and 11:00 am.
AWARDS AND JUDGING
● Photographs will be judged according to the category submitted and for Best in Show.
● Winners of each category, including Best in Show, will receive a blue ribbon and a $100.00 award, except for the Best Loudoun Photograph, which will receive a $500 award from Loudoun Now.
● Red, yellow, and white ribbons will also be awarded for second, third and honorable mention.
● Preview and Varnishing Night Party will be Thursday, October 3, 2019, and is by invitation only. Entrants will receive their invite at drop off and must rsvp to [email protected]
● The Photography Exhibit Sales PREVIEW and Photography Awards will be from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm in the Red Barn, Thursday, October 3.
● The utmost care will be taken of all work submitted. However, the Waterford Foundation, Inc. is not responsible for loss or damage and assumes no liability for works not collected on the specified dates. All work is entered at the owner’s risk.
● The Waterford Foundation reserves the right to reject any entry.