Mahlon Schooley House
15555 Second Street
Mahlon Schooley (b. 1788), who later helped establish a Quaker community in Iowa, built this brick dwelling in 1817 as part of the “New Town” development along Second Street. The original portion is a three-bay brick building with a metal gable roof and a dogtooth cornice. The house retains an architectural integrity that belies the changes that have taken place within. The large west wing was added before 1854.
In the early part of the 20th century, a fire necessitated the rebuilding of the south wall, at which time longer windows were installed. In the 1920s, the James Carr family replaced an earlier front porch with a large wrap-around version, which itself was removed in the 1960s. The foundation of the present brick stoop at the front door was part of the first porch. The Brown Morton family also restored a number of interior details, including an exact replica of the first entrance, an unusually wide nine-panel door.
The current owners undertook an extensive restoration focused on retaining as much original material as possible, while assuring the structural integrity of this house for its next two hundred years.
In the field directly behind the house, study revealed the existence of one of several brick kilns along Catoctin Creek where much of the soft brick used in village buildings was made. The pond at the bottom of the field was created in the 1960s. The small white frame building at the far corner of the field adjacent to the mill race was built in the 1920s as the village slaughter house.
The Mahlon Schooley House is open through the courtesy of Richard and Susan Rogers. The Rev. and Mrs. W. Brown Morton III, previous owners, protected the house from inappropriate change in perpetuity by the grant of a preservation easement to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
|Tour > Homes Tour|