40135 Main Street
The land on which this two-story brick house sits was part of the Mill tract for many years. Insurance records identify this as a vacant lot through at least 1816. By the 1820s Samuel Gover, then at the end of a long life and the father of 14 children, was living here. Around the time of the Civil War, Robert Isaac Hollingsworth, a Quaker schoolteacher from Winchester, Virginia, bought the house.
In 1847 Hollingsworth had married Rachel, the daughter of Waterford’s first postmaster, Daniel Stone, also a Quaker. During the war, Confederates seized Hollingsworth and fellow townsman William Williams and marched them to Richmond’s Castle Thunder Prison, eventually trading them for two Loudoun residents held by the North.
The Thomas Lee family, an African-American family for whom the house is also named, lived here from the late 19th century into the 20th. Older members of the community remember his wonderful vegetable garden—which he fenced off to spare it from childish foragers! His children Thomas and Charles attended the school on Second Street in 1880 and are roleplayed by visiting school children today. In 1930 Lee was working as a janitor for the Loudoun Mutual Insurance Company in the village.
This house has undergone extensive renovation. The rear two-story frame wing replaced an earlier frame wing in the 1950s or 1960s. At the same time the from portion of the house was rebuilt. Like the Wisteria Collage next door this house has a mousetooth cornice and jack arches over the openings.
The interior room configuration is the infrequently used side-passage single-pile plan: The front door opens into a passage that runs the depth of the house. To the right of the passage is a single room which would have been used as a parlor, dining room, or even a sleeping chamber. The single-room plan was popular from the post-revolutionary period through the 19th century.
The Hollingsworth-Lee House is open through the courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph W. Keating, Jr. It has been protected from inappropriate change by an easement to the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission.
|Tour > Homes Tour|